Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Best Meat Loaf

First of all, this happened today...


This was sometime after me throwing up blood and before deciding that the day was worth living in (you know, take a shower, get out of your pjs, try to eat something- again).  We put on Sesame Street for Abby and she crawled up into my lap and told me she was my baby and to rock her.  Then she just let me snuggle her for a good 15 minutes (this from a previously uncuddly child.  Really!  Even as an infant!).  I guess it gave me the boost I needed to get going and make the awesome meatloaf I have posted below. Of which Abby ate exactly NONE!  Her loss!

A few things about this meat loaf:  I have adapted it into some kind of combination from Joy Manning's Almost Meatless cookbook and from America's Test Kitchen's "Classic Meat Loaf" recipes.  It calls for tofu in addition to the meat.  I love this because it not only keeps our meat consumption lower, tofu is cheaper than ground beef, and it keeps the meat loaf super tender and moist.  If you make this for a man in your life you may not want to tell him about the tofu til after he tastes it.  Believe me, you don't notice the tofu at all.  Jeremy (my meat-loving man) called this the best meat loaf south of the North Pole.  So if that's not a recommendation for you, I don't know what is! So, without further ado...

Best Meat Loaf Ever
Adapted from Almost Meatless and America's Test Kitchen


Notes: The mushroom step is optional and I have skipped it before but it really does add a nice meaty "umami" taste to the meat loaf and also ups the vegetable count.  I made a double batch of this tonight but only had 1 lb of tofu and it was still delicious.  So, if you're not a fan of tofu and are still feeling wary of its presence you could reduce the percentage and just add more meat.  But seriously, why?  Like I said, it's cheaper and makes the whole thing more tender... so, up to you.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter or bacon fat (you could use regular oil, but I think the salt in butter or bacon fat helps brown the onions better/faster cause they release their juices)
about 10 small mushrooms or equivalent amount portobello mushrooms
1 onion
2 medium carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a press

1 lb tofu
1/2 lb ground beef (I use sirloin 90/10 meat to fat content)
1/2 lb ground pork
2/3 cup crush saltines or quick oats or bread crumbs (I used gluten-free bread crumbs- just some Udi's bread I toasted and whirred in the food processor)

2 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk/yogurt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce (or slightly less hot sauce.  It won't make the meat loaf spicy; it just adds another layer of flavor)
1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard

A few slices of bacon (This is optional. Anytime I mention making meat loaf without the bacon topping Jeremy either gives me a look like I should be committed to an insane asylum or he gives me his wounded puppy dog eyes.  I compromised and only put 4 slices of bacon across the top.  It's those little compromises that make a marriage work, ya know?)

Glaze:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons cider or white vinegar

Directions:
1.  Add 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat or butter to a hot pan and saute the mushrooms til they have released their juices and have started to brown on the edges.  Transfer mushrooms to food processor and process until ground up.

2.  Switch from the blade in the processor to the shredding disc and shred the carrots (no need to take the mushrooms out. It's all going to get mixed together anyway)

3.  Dice the onion into small pieces. Add the other tablespoon of bacon fat/butter to the skillet and cook till starting to caramelize.  Add the crushed garlic.  Cook till fragrant.  Add the carrots and mushrooms.  Cook long enough for the carrots to just start to soften (this won't take long).  Take off the heat and allow to cool a bit.

3.  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk the eggs, milk, and seasonings together.  

4.  In a large bowl mix the tofu, beef, pork, and breadcrumbs together.  (I like to use my hands to mix.  You may want to take off any jewelry from the wrist down... just a reminder.)  Add the veggies, incorporate.  Add the milk/egg/seasoning mixture, incorporate. You will now have an amalgam that looks something like this:

5.  Preheat oven to 350.  (I use a toaster oven so it doesn't take long.  You may want to do this a bit earlier if using a larger oven.)  Line a pan (at least 9x9) with foil to make cleanup easier.  Place a rack on top.  Like so:
Sorry it's blurry
 Place another layer of foil on top (so your meatloaf doesn't fall through) and poke holes in the foil so that excess fat can drain out to the pan below (this is more important if you're using a higher fat content meat).


 6. Put your meat loaf mixture on the foil and pat out to an even thickness (about 1 1/2- 2 inches thick).

7.  In a small sauce pan mix together your glaze ingredients and brush on your meat loaf (reserve the extra).  Place bacon strips (if using) on top.


8.  Bake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes.  You want the internal temperature to read 160 and bacon on top to be crisp.  About 10 minutes from the end of baking, heat up the glaze on the stove and allow it to thicken a bit.  Remove the meatloaf from the oven.  Brush the remaining glaze on top and return to the oven for the remainder of the baking time.  If the bacon has not crisped sufficiently (it was cut thickly or something) pop on the broiler and DON'T WALK AWAY.  Just give it about a minute and your bacon should be nice and happy.

Enjoy!  We had ours with sweet potatoes (no marshmallows please! Just butter, salt, and pepper- keep it pure!) and a green salad.


I invited my brother to join us for dinner but he sent his regrets.  His loss.  I guess walking from Pittsburgh (he doesn't have a car) was just too far for him.  Silly guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment