Thursday, April 18, 2013

Beet and Sweet Potato Hash

When I got my CSA box the beets intrigued me first.  Even though I've eaten beets before, I'd never cooked with them.

I started browsing recipes and found myself inspire by these two:
Red Flanel Hash from Spoon, Fork Bacon
Beet Hash with Eggs from Two Blue Lemons
Here is my variation:
Ingredients:
  • 2 Sweet potatoes
  • 3 Beets without greens (reserve the greens for another use)
  • 1-2 yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
  • 1-2 tablespoons butter
  • a couple springs of fresh thyme
  • pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
  • 1/4 c. chicken or vegetable broth (I usually have homemade stock simmering on a back burner so I used this)
  • 4-6 free range or pastured eggs
Directions:
  1. Chop the beets and sweet potatoes into bite sized cubes. 
  2. In a large, flat bottomed pot (I used a deep saute pan) bring enough water to cover the beets and potatoes to a boil.  
  3. Add the beets to the water.  Give them a head start since they take longer than the sweet potatoes.  After about 5-7 minutes add the sweet potatoes.  Cook an additional 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables can be pierced with a fork.  
  4. Removed the beets and sweet potatoes from the pot and pour off the water (I reserved mine for later use since it is full of vitamins and minerals). Wipe out the pan.
  5. Heat butter in the pan and add the chopped onion until it caramelizes   Add garlic and thyme and saute til fragrant. Add the beets and sweet potatoes.  Saute til it smells awesome and the beets and sweet potatoes are softened.  Add the broth to deglaze the pan.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 
  6. Make wells in the hash and break an egg into each well.  Cover with a lid until the egg whites are cooked through and the yolks are still soft.  
  7. SERVE.
This was so, so simple to make and tasted fantastic!  That's what happens when you have great, fresh produce- simple is best!  Here is a picture of my final result.  I could certainly see cooking some bacon right before adding the onion.  I was going to but then I didn't have bacon and honestly it didn't need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment