Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thai Beef Salad

I got the inspiration for this yummy salad from Iowa Girl Eats and then made it my own.  When you're married to a meat-loving man (even one who is starting to reform) sometimes when you say salad is for dinner you get that look.  You know, THAT look.  The one that says do we have any chicken breasts in the fridge?  Maybe I'll just pour myself a bowl of cereal after dinner.  Not so with this salad.  You see this salad is topped with meat, red meat.  I always underestimate the amount of time required to make a dinner salad because I think with no cooking involved it'll whip of in no time.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of cutting and chopping action so planning accordingly.  This salad was a hit and I would definitely make it again if the stars I mean ingredients align.


Thai Beef Salad

Ingredients:
For the dressing:

  • Juice from one lemon (or two limes)
  • 1/4 c soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (I keep mine in the freezer and find it grates very easily after about a minute on the counter
  • 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce)
For the Salad
  • 1/2-1 cup of thinly sliced beef (I used left over roast beef from earlier in the week)
  • Several handfuls of assorted spring lettuce greens
  • 1 cup of cabbage, sliced thinly
  • 1 mango, diced
  • green onions, chopped
  • cilantro, chopped
  • 1 shallot, sliced thinly and sauteed in 1 tablespoon of butter til browned and crispy, drained on a paper towel.
  • salted peanuts
Mix the dressing together with a whisk and pour about 1/3 of it over your beef to soak up the flavors.  Premix your salad ingredients or arrange salad bar style.  Top with dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment