Thursday, April 25, 2013

Gruber CSA Week 2

Last Thursday it was time again to pick up my box of produce from my Gruber Farms CSA.  I usually really enjoy planning my meals out more than a week ahead but not knowing what I'm going to get in my box each week makes that more difficult.  I think the trade off for fresh veggies is worth it though.  I pick up the box on Thursday and start to map out what we'll eat for the next week and what I may need to pick up at the grocery store to make it work.  I'm trying to really work with what we have and not pick too much up at the store.  I want the produce to be the main event so I find I'm mostly picking up staples as we run out of them. This is what we got last week and how we used it:



  • 2 Quarts of strawberries (Again!  YAY!  This time they lasted til Sunday.  One whole day longer than last week!)
  • 3 small crowns of broccoli (Rich in dietary fiber, minerals like calcium, manganese, iron, magnesium, selenium, zinc, and phosphorus, anti-oxidants, folates (good for pregnant women (yes, I did just insert a parenthetical notation inside another parenthetical notation! (twice!) My blog; I get to go crazy if I want!), and vitamins C and A.)
  • Bunch of cilantro (tricky, since Jeremy is not a great lover of cilantro.  I might have to be sneaky.)
  • 7 Sweet potatoes (Vitamins C and A, calcium, folate, potassium, and beta-carotene- all good for your eyes, skin, and muscles)
  • 9 Sweet Onions
  • 1 Large bunch of collard greens (Cholesterol lowering, cancer-preventing, Vitamin A, calcium, fiber)
Here's what we ate last week:
  • Roasted bottom round roast with gravy, baked sweet potatoes, and creamed collard greens (it is worth noting that the roast has been/will be incorporated into many additional meals for the next two weeks because I meat consumption is very low now.  Jeremy says we're vegetarians not so much by choice but by budget- it's pretty true!).
  • Thai Beef Salad (used some cilantro, onions, and cabbage still leftover from last week)
  • Roasted Maple Butternut Squash over quinoa (mostly used up several onions)
  • Jeremy made a rice and ground beef (with peppers, onions, garlic, and lots of Abrabic spices mixed in) dish and we had our favorite steamed broccoli on the side.
  • Spiced Lentils with collards over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment