Thursday, April 18, 2013

Okonomiyaki or Japanese "Pizza"

First of all, I should say I have never eaten authentic okonomiyaki so I cannot attest to the authenticity of this recipe (I'm guessing it's not very accurate).  I still had lots of cabbage left over from Week 1 of my Gruber CSA so my mom suggested I check out 101 Cookbooks' Japanese Pizza.  This sent me on a recipe hunt for more variations of this traditional Japanese street food and I found out the recipe is surprisingly unspecific.  In fact, "okonomi" means "as you like it" (and "yaki" means "fried up").  So this dish is infinitely customizable.  Apparently, different regions of Japan have different traditional ingredients the like to add.  This is really more of a frittata or a pancake than a pizza.

Okonomiyaki- As I like It...


Ingredients:
The Veggies:
  • 3-3 ½ cups cabbage
  • 2 shredded carrots
  • 3 med spring onions (green and white part thinly sliced)
  • 1 cup chopped/shredded Chicken (optional, could also use slivers of beef or pork or tiny salad sized shrimp...)
  • Approx ¼ c Cilantro (you could go heavier but my hubby isn't a great lover of cilantro)
  • 3 very small sweet red Peppers

The Batter:
  • 5 pastured eggs
  • 2 ½  cups gf flour
  • ¾ c chicken broth
  • 1 T soy sauce (gf)
  • 2 t toasted sesame oil
  • Good pinch of salt

The Sauces:
  • 3 T mayo
  • 1 t sriracha
  • 1 t soy sauce
  • Squeeze of lemon juice

  • ¼ c Ketchup
  • 1 t mirin
  • 2 t Worcestershire
  • 2 t mustard 


Directions:

1.  Finely slice and chop all the veggies and chicken and toss together.

2.  Whisk together the batter ingredients and pour them over the veggies/chicken.  Mix til batter coats the veggies.



3.  In a non-stick skillet pour some oil and add about 1/3 of the mixture in a pancake-like layer over the bottom.  (I used a 10 inch skillet and this recipe yielded 3 pancakes- we had almost 1 and half pancakes left over to use for another meal/lunches).

4.  Cook for about 4 minutes on the first side, then slide the pancake out of the skillet onto a large plate.  Place another plate upsidedown on top of the pancake and flip both plates over.  Slide the pancake off the second plate and back into the skillet uncooked side down (it sounds complicated but is much easier than trying to flip a huge pancake with a spatula).

5.  Cook for an additional 4 minutes and remove to a serving plate.  Cook remaining batter in the same manner until non remains.  

6.  To serve, mix up sauces.  Smear the ketchup based sauce all over the pancake then drizzle with the mayonaise based sauce.  Garnish with additional green onions and cilantro if desired.


Jeremy said he thought it tasted like a doughier version of a spring roll or egg roll.  And gave it his approval.  I also liked it but would be interested it adding more pizzazz.  Abby like the ketchup sauce, didn't like the mayo sauce ("spicy mouth!") and barely nibbled at the pancake.  This was my own fault since I'd accidently left her unfinished peanut butter sandwich from lunch on the table and she ate that instead.  grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment